1. Currently, we are accepting registrations.
    You are welcome to partake in the discussions provided you follow the community rules and guidelines.
    Click on the yellow "Review" tag to filter out only the reviews.

♣ Interview with Abi Varghese - Director of Monsoon Mangoes --Full Interview @ Page 7 ♣

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Gokul, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Abi Varghese

Abi Varghese Debutant FR Celeb

Liked:
    1. It was much more luck than anything else. Because I was in the US, there was an open slot of 30 minutes available on Kairali TV. Their idea was to do some new program or something like that. I felt that it was an opportunity to do something different. I was trying to do a feature film back then, but when this opportunity came, I took it and worked with Ajayan to get this project out.

2. I have already finished another sitcom called Brown Nation (airing 2016). I would love to do another one in Malayalam.

3. You will have to watch the film to get it. :)

4. The film is carried by Fahadh, Vijay Raaz & Vinay. 3 very talented actors. I always wanted to work with all three actors. Luckily it all happened in one film :)

2. Abi Varghese

Liked:
    1. Yes we shot Monsoon Mangoes entirely in the US. We shot it in New Orleans. The story took place in the US. It was never to have America glamorized. We avoided many of the tourist destinations because we wanted the story to be more significant than the location.

2. I would love to do more films in Malayalam. Hoping that I will get another chance after this :)

3. Fahadh is a brilliant actor. I know a lot of people say that, but having worked with him, I am so impressed on how he transforms into his character.

3. Aattiprackel Jimmy

Aattiprackel Jimmy Aluva Bad Ass

Liked:
    Hii Abhi Chetta...

1) Adya Film il Thanne Fahadh ne cast cheyanulla karanam ??...

2) Fahad No paranjirunengil oru 2nd option ethu actor aayirunnene ?

3) AK kanda ethoru prekshakanum thankalude movie il ulla expectation valare kooduthal aayirikkum.....tension thonnunundoo...?

4. Abi Varghese

Liked:
    Thank you!

1. The whole crew members of the films are production crew from New York. Lukasz Pruchnik (DP) Monica Mayroga (Art), Diana S (sound), Lindsay (makeup). They worked with me on all my prior projects. They are like my extended family. We are a small team but work well together. Jakes is someone I met early this year. He is a young talent that I found very interesting. His music is refreshingly different. He has a great aesthetic sense that I appreciate. I am hoping that you will all love the music and soundtrack.

2. Monsoon Mangoes is a simple film that has a soul. There is light situational humor but the underlying theme is the struggle of a creator/artist. I believe that there are many People who have passion to do something, but are stuck in their day to day job doing things we hate to do. I hope that it creates/inspires some passion in some people.

3. I see a lot of great things in Malayalam. My favorite films recently has been Amen & Anneyum Rasoolum. There are many talented directors that are coming out of our industry. I hope it continues and we will have more great films. I was always proud of our films.

5. Abi Varghese

Liked:
    1. I think he is a very versatile actor. I knew that he would take this character to bigger level that I can imagine. Its so easy to work with him.

2. Never had another choice for this film, but I really like Jayasurya. I think he is a very good actor who hasn't gotten the recognition he deserves.

3. I have so much tension :) But I guess that's the price you pay when you do a film. But I am equally ready for all the criticisms good or bad. I hope I can learn and grow through my mistakes and keep doing more films that are close to my heart.

6. KHILADI

KHILADI Super Star

Liked:
    Hi Abi:hi2:

1.,Film fieldinekurichu nallathonnum angane kettittlla..Straight forward aya vykthikalku pidichu nilkan pattumo?:Rock:

2., Abiku abhinayikanam ennu thonniyitundo? actingil thalparyam undo? Kalaparamayi verenthenkilum like singing, dancing, drawing thudangi enthnkilum thalparyam undo?

7. Abi Varghese

Liked:
    1. I don't think I am a great director, but I think I cast well. They say that if you cast well, you don't need to direct too much. That's my trick. :) I try to get the best people on board, see if they can really handle the character and see if they can bring in something fresh to the character. It was very similar when we casted for AK. Josettan, gregory, sajini-chechi, all brought in something unique on their own. Once that happens, the project takes a life of its own. So I am always very careful in casting.

2. There are always some places that you don't think an actor is working. But at the time, you always try to find solutions around it. Either reworking dialogues, or pushing the situations a bit so that the situation is doing more of the work for them than the acting. :) I hope this makes sense :)

3. I always loved to make films. I started making my short films when I was like 17 years old. But I went the business school, but grew tired of it very soon and fell back into films.

4. I would love to do more Malayalam films.

5. I was always a big fan of Vijay Raaz, especially after Delhi Belly. When I pitched the script to him, he immediately said yes (even though it was a Malayalam film). He said that he just goes by his gut feeling, nothing else. It was an interesting choice because he plays a Hindi actor in the film. Fahadh's character doesn't know too much Hindi, so I knew that dynamic alone would be something that will have fun with on screen. Vijay is an extremely talented actor who hates to rehearse. He always believes that it spoils the real moment. He finds the true moments on set and that is always fascinating to me. To watch his performance and being surprised on what he would come up with.

I am so happy he agreed to this film.

8. KHILADI

KHILADI Super Star

Liked:
    :Peace: Thanks Abi:roll:

9. Abi Varghese

Liked:
    1. For me, it was so hard to get my first film done. I have so much respect for anyone who has done a film now. There is so much struggle that you put yourself through. I really don't think its a bad industry. I think if your intentions are just to make good films then its all fine.

2. No acting for me. I did act in ABCD for a little bit, but that's only because Martin asked me to. Don't want to do that again. I am very camera shy.

10. Anoop TP

Anoop TP Debutant

Liked:
    Hi abi

Belated xmas and advance happy new year

All the best to your monsoon mangoes

1. Ee padam purath shoot cheytat kond nalla budget aayittundo.

2. Putiya project planningil undo.

3. Ee padam kure munp shoot theernathalle , entan release aakan delay aayat.