1. Currently, we are accepting registrations.
    You are welcome to partake in the discussions provided you follow the community rules and guidelines.
    Click on the yellow "Review" tag to filter out only the reviews.

♣ Interview with Abi Varghese - Director of Monsoon Mangoes --Full Interview @ Page 7 ♣

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Gokul, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Abi Varghese

Abi Varghese Debutant FR Celeb

Liked:
    Thank you ForumReelz so much for giving me the opportunity to give a chat like this. I really had a great time answering these questions. I sincerely thank each and every one of you for your support.

I hope You all appreciate the work that our team has put into "Monsoon Mangoes".

Thank you and Hope you all have a Beautiful 2016!!!!

2. Anoop TP

Anoop TP Debutant

Liked:
    Hi abi ,

Mukalil kodutha oru replyil kandu 4 vayassayappo us ilek poyi avide settle aayi enn , appo valarnju vanna chuttupaad vech oru hollywood fan aakenda aal alle , engane malayala cinemayilek ethi sradha muzhuvan

3. Mark Twain

Mark Twain Football is my Religion Moderator

Liked:
    Interview with Abi Varghese - Director of Monsoon Mangoes

1. Akkarakazhchakal pole valare acclaimed aaya oru series director aayittu koodi cinema entry ithra vaikaan kaaranam?

Even though AK was very popular, I struggled a lot in trying to find a producer to do the film. One of the issue that I always ran into was that I was just a serial director and didn't know how to go beyond that. But Luckily, Fahadh really liked the script and I knew that with he wanted to play the role. That gave me much more confidence and convincing producers became a bit easier.

2. Oru "serial" setup maari oru film thanne helm cheyyumbol nerittathil ettavum valiya challenge?

The biggest challenge in doing a film versus a TV series is that characters grow, mature and have a story arc. In a sitcom, I never had to worry about that. George, Gregory, Rincy, etc were character that had a very defined background, but never really needed to grow and have an arc. So every episode, you can reset and put them in different situations. The situations changes, the characters don't.

3. ഫഹദ്‌ എന്ന നടനിൽ അബി എന്ന സംവിഥായകൻ നടത്തിയ പരീക്ഷണം എന്താണു...

No Experiments. I am one person who doesn't do too much in terms of direction. I really took two months with fahadh and we went over the character in details during pre-production. However on set, Fahadh brought in so much more to the character. He knew exactly all the beats of the story, the emotional connection between the other characters. He has done an outstanding job. He is such a natural at it :)

4. ഒരു യുവസംവിഥായകൻ എന്ന നിലയിൽ മലയാളം സിനിമയിൽ വരണമെന്നു ആഗ്രഹിക്കുന്ന മാറ്റങ്ങൾ എന്തൊക്കെയാണു?....

I say keep working, and start making films (shorts) as soon as possible. You will do many bad works, but you learn the craft slowly. There are tons of opportunity out there. I think my biggest advantage was youtube. Our show was seen more on youtube than anywhere else on TV. The way I started was that I put aside some money, got a decent camera and started to shoot out of my parents house. I made a lot of bad short films :)

5. Trailer kandapol artinu valare importance kodukunna film aayi thonni..!Malayalathil itharam oru film cheyyumbol undaya velluvilikal enthok aanu..?

Yes we did put a lot of time in the art department. We spent about 3 months of pre-production work working on the color palette, locations, costume designs so that the whole film looks and feels unique. The story mostly dictated how the art design was going to look like. We had a lot of hesitations from everyone in the beginning and during the shoot. But once the trailer came out, people started to appreciate it. I hope it will have the same impact in theaters :)

6. Ee chithrathil ninnu prekshakar enthanu pratheekshikendath..?

I would say, expect a film that is simple, pure at heart, with natural dialogues and light comedy.

7. Fahad enna actorodopam work cheythapol undaya experience onnu share cheyyumo..?

Fahadh does not like to over rehearse, which I find fascinating. There were many moments with Vijay Raaz and Fahadh that was shot as naturally as possible. Most of their sequences were never rehearsed.

8. Akkarakazchakal pole itra popular aaya sitcom cinema aakiyappo entha US il matram release cheytat ??

Our AK movie was not released because we couldn't find distribution. .

9. Fahadine cast cheyyan ulla reason .???

Fahadh was so apt for this role. I think he is one hell of an actor. Its so much fun to watch him transform into his character.

10. Adhyam bourbon street , pinne D P Pallikkal , avasanam monsoon mangoes enna title urappikkan ulla reason . ???

Nazriya actually came up with the title. It was such a relevant part of the film, she asked my one day, why don't you use "Monsoon Mangoes." I thought about it for a moment and it felt right. When you see the film, you will see the significance

11. Celebrity interview thudangiya kaalam thott ulla cliche chodyam aan , ennalum njanum chotikkuvan , aaran favourite actor mammukka or lalettan , aa ishtathin ulla reason koodi parayamo .??

My favorite is Lalettan :) Because of the depth in character he can do.

12. now that you have made the transition to big screen, and by the grace of god oru successful career thanne undakuvanel...mini screen lekk oru thirichuvaravinu enthenkilum chance future il undo?????....

I honestly feel that there is BIG scope in TV. I would love to do more TV series. I have just completed one called Brown Nation (English) for Balaji. We will be airing it in 2016. But I would love to do more of those.

Most of the time I speak to Channel, they want 100 episodes. I think then it becomes less creative. The main reason why I stopped AK at episode 50 is because I didn't want the quality to go down ever. Quality over quantity.

I hope that there will be a channel that are willing to hear us and will be open to ideas regarding mini series.

13. How did you pitch Akkarakazhchakal to the producers and channel? Especially when the entire TV spectrum was full of mega serials. ???

It was much more luck than anything else. Because I was in the US, there was an open slot of 30 minutes available on Kairali TV. Their idea was to do some new program or something like that. I felt that it was an opportunity to do something different. I was trying to do a feature film back then, but when this opportunity came, I took it and worked with Ajayan to get this project out.

14. If at all you decide to do a TV series, what do you want to do? Another sitcom or something else? ??

I have already finished another sitcom called Brown Nation (airing 2016). I would love to do another one in Malayalam.

15. Coming to Monsoon Mangoes, what is the significance of the title???

You will have to watch the film to get it. :)

16. Fahad and Vinay Fort is a combination that looks very interesting and something I want to see on the screen. How did you arrive upon them for the roles? Did you consider anyone else???

The film is carried by Fahadh, Vijay Raaz & Vinay. 3 very talented actors. I always wanted to work with all three actors. Luckily it all happened in one film

17. Monsoon mangoes ena film mainly america aane shooting spot...
    Kadha deserve cheythathe kond aano america select cheithathe..atho variety shooting spotne vendi aano america select cheithe???

Yes we shot Monsoon Mangoes entirely in the US. We shot it in New Orleans. The story took place in the US. It was never to have America glamorized. We avoided many of the tourist destinations because we wanted the story to be more significant than the location.

18. As a director,how 'Akkarakazchkal' mould you to become a director in main stream film???

I would love to do more films in Malayalam. Hoping that I will get another chance after this :)

19. About your experience with Fahadh Fasil???

. Fahadh is a brilliant actor. I know a lot of people say that, but having worked with him, I am so impressed on how he transforms into his character.

20. ചിത്രത്തിന്റെ അണിയറ പ്രവർത്തകർ പലരും മലയാളികള്ക്ക് അപരിചിതരാണ്. മ്യൂസിക്‌ ചെയ്യുന്ന jakes bejoy , ക്യാമറ കൈകാര്യം ചെയ്യുന്ന Lukasz pruchnik ഇവരെ കുറിച്ച് ? ഇവരെ കാസ്റ്റ് ചെയ്തതിലുള്ള കാരണം??

The whole crew members of the films are production crew from New York. Lukasz Pruchnik (DP) Monica Mayroga (Art), Diana S (sound), Lindsay (makeup). They worked with me on all my prior projects. They are like my extended family. We are a small team but work well together. Jakes is someone I met early this year. He is a young talent that I found very interesting. His music is refreshingly different. He has a great aesthetic sense that I appreciate. I am hoping that you will all love the music and soundtrack.

21. എന്തിനു മണ്‍സൂണ്‍ മാന്ഗോസ് കാണണം !! മലയാളി പ്രേക്ഷകരോടുള്ള ഉത്തരം എന്തായിരിക്കും ???

Monsoon Mangoes is a simple film that has a soul. There is light situational humor but the underlying theme is the struggle of a creator/artist. I believe that there are many People who have passion to do something, but are stuck in their day to day job doing things we hate to do. I hope that it creates/inspires some passion in some people.

22. മലയാള സിനിമയിൽ നല്ല മാറ്റങ്ങൾ ഉണ്ടാകുന്നുണ്ടോ ??

താങ്കളുടെ കാഴ്ചപ്പാട് ??

I see a lot of great things in Malayalam. My favorite films recently has been Amen & Anneyum Rasoolum. There are many talented directors that are coming out of our industry. I hope it continues and we will have more great films. I was always proud of our films.

23, Film fieldinekurichu nallathonnum angane kettittlla..Straight forward aya vykthikalku pidichu nilkan pattumo?

For me, it was so hard to get my first film done. I have so much respect for anyone who has done a film now. There is so much struggle that you put yourself through. I really don't think its a bad industry. I think if your intentions are just to make good films then its all fine.

24. Abiku abhinayikanam ennu thonniyitundo? actingil thalparyam undo? Kalaparamayi verenthenkilum like singing, dancing, drawing thudangi enthnkilum thalparyam undo??

No acting for me. I did act in ABCD for a little bit, but that's only because Martin asked me to. Don't want to do that again. I am very camera shy.

25. Oru nadane cast cheyyunnathu nammude manassilulla kadhapathrathe avatharippikan ayalku kazhiyum enna oru dharana vechanennanu ente ooham, aa nadan abhinayicha cinemakaliloode ayale vilayiruthiyum akam. Oru director enna nilayil enthoke karyangal ningale castingil swadeenikarundu(For hero heroine and also other important character actors.) ???

I don't think I am a great director, but I think I cast well. They say that if you cast well, you don't need to direct too much. That's my trick. :) I try to get the best people on board, see if they can really handle the character and see if they can bring in something fresh to the character. It was very similar when we casted for AK. Josettan, gregory, sajini-chechi, all brought in something unique on their own. Once that happens, the project takes a life of its own. So I am always very careful in casting.

26. After selection, abhinayichu thudangumbolo allenkil ethenkilum ghattathilo ee nadanekondo nadiyekondo ithu patilla ennu epolenkilum thonniyitundo..(Not only in Monsoon Mangoes, also in your serials)..Enganeyoke athine overcome cheythirikunnu. ??

There are always some places that you don't think an actor is working. But at the time, you always try to find solutions around it. Either reworking dialogues, or pushing the situations a bit so that the situation is doing more of the work for them than the acting.:) I hope this makes sense

27. Enganeyanu film/serial fieldil ethipettathu. Ithayirunno sherikum ishtam?. ?

I always loved to make films. I started making my short films when I was like 17 years old. But I went the business school, but grew tired of it very soon and fell back into films.

28. Bhaviyil other language movies cheyyan thalparyam undo? Atho Malayalam ano kooduthal ishtam???

I would love to do more Malayalam films.

29. I think this is Vijay Raaz'z first film in Malayalam. I have seen him as a comedian in movies like Deewane Huye Paagal and Fool n Final. Pinne chila cinemakalil Don aayum, I guess in Department. Ithil serious character ano? Malayali character ano? Oru anybhasha abhinethavinodothu work cheyyumbol enthellam difficulties undayirunnu???

I was always a big fan of Vijay Raaz, especially after Delhi Belly. When I pitched the script to him, he immediately said yes (even though it was a Malayalam film). He said that he just goes by his gut feeling, nothing else. It was an interesting choice because he plays a Hindi actor in the film. Fahadh's character doesn't know too much Hindi, so I knew that dynamic alone would be something that will have fun with on screen. Vijay is an extremely talented actor who hates to rehearse. He always believes that it spoils the real moment. He finds the true moments on set and that is always fascinating to me. To watch his performance and being surprised on what he would come up with.

I am so happy he agreed to this film.

30. Who motivated you to direct films. What was your inspiration. Are you a self motivated person or some one else's motivation???

I grew up in the US, but always watched Malayalam films. But my favorite was always Bharathan sir. When I saw Amaram for the first time, its when I knew that I wanted to be a director. That film had such an impact on me (and so many other people I assume).

31. Which type of films you prefer to take most, commercials or classics, or do you have in mind to take specific type of films???

I don't classify them as commercial or class(ics), but just doing films that interest me, and things that I can relate to. For me, its always been natural comedy with a little substance underneath it.

32 Which film industry you would like to work most, if offers come from Tamil/telugu than Malayalam, would you prefer latter???

I would love to do more Malayalam films. Growing up in the US, Malayalam films were the only thing that I had to keep me connected to Kerala.

33. Ee padam purath shoot cheytat kond nalla budget aayittundo.????

Yes, going abroad always makes the cost higher, but to compensate that we tried to minimize the cost in the US by getting a very small crew. Our crew was made up of less than 25 people. And we shot the entire film in 24 days.

34. Putiya project planningil undo.???

Yes, always writing. I have another TV series in the works and another film that I hope to do next year.

35. Ee padam kure munp shoot theernathalle , enthanu release aakan delay aayat.??

We wanted to take our time with the post production work. I have to thank my producer for that who gave me so much freedom for post production to really nail the music / color / sound design. Hope it all works out :)

36. Ningalude Pesonal life..Family..kurichokke onnu share cheyyamo.. ??

Yes :) I was born in Adoor, I moved to the US when I was 4 years old. Have been living in the US ever since. I did however go back to Kerala to Mar Ivanios college for a short time. Now, I live with my wife and my 2 year old daughter in New Jersey and spend a lot of my time in Cochin now :)

I have a business degree, and worked for a for a bit at Unilever, but I quit because I really wanted to focus on films. My parents were supporting, so I started shooting AK at my parents house. Eventually, the AK team took over the house and I had Painted every room a different color so it looks good on camera, but it looked horrible in real life (Green & blue & pink).

37. ee filmil ettavum kashtappadu thonniyathu eethu samayathaanu ? (shooting,promotion,post production etc.)

It was really during the shooting. We only had 23 days to shoot in New Orleans. So we had no time for mistakes, rain day, or any of that. The crew was entirely American & the entire cast was Malayalees, so I always find myself explaining everything twice so both parties would get it. Luckily it all worked out and we had no issues with schedule. But its really hard to do a film in that short period of time. But somehow we did it.

38. Abi chettan ethu genre il ulla cinemakal prefer cheyyunna aalaanu ?

I like comedy but it has to have some truth to it. I love films that have a layer of comedy but have some substance underneath it. These are such great questions

39. Ithu pole ulla forums..Social media ithil okke active ano Abi...
    Social Medias vannathu moviesine dhoshakaramayi bhadhikkunnu ennu chila directors parayunnu...Thankalude abhiprayam enthanu..??

Yes, I am active in social media. I owe my career to Social Media. So I can't ever complain about it. Our Akkara Kazhchakal was seen, appreciated, and discussed through the help of social media,(including youtube, Facebook). I think social media now only helps film makers get their word out faster, it helps young writers / directors get their works out to the public. I personally think its a good thing.

I think the negative side of social media is certain people intentionally try to destroy a film for no reason. But that's more of a character issue than a social media issue.

Thank you ForumReelz so much for giving me the opportunity to give a chat like this. I really had a great time answering these questions. I sincerely thank each and every one of you for your support.

I hope You all appreciate the work that our team has put into "Monsoon Mangoes".

Thank you and Hope you all have a Beautiful 2016!!!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  4. Mayavi 369

Mayavi 369 Sachin My God Super Mod

Liked:
    :clap: :clap:

5. Sadasivan

Sadasivan Mr. Fraud

Liked:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

6. ACME

ACME Mega Star

Liked: