1. Currently, we are accepting registrations.
    You are welcome to partake in the discussions provided you follow the community rules and guidelines.
    Click on the yellow "Review" tag to filter out only the reviews.

Review Reviews of foreign movies!

Discussion in 'OtherWoods' started by eazy04, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Cinemalover

Cinemalover Star

Liked:
    Secret Window

Depp's adept portrayal of the lead character backed by a pretty engaging finale makes this a fine cinema.The film clearly lacks the fizz to qualify as an intriguing thriller,still this one has its moments for sure.Johnny Depp was great like always,his polished performance is indeed the prime factor which makes the proceedings interesting.John Turturro was good with his performance,while the rest of the cast were adequate.

David Koepp did an impressive job constructing a watchable cinema out of a predictable plot.He was able to maintain an uncanny atmosphere throughout.Though the twist was quite foreseeable,the ending was on a high note which uplifted the overall quality of movie.The technical aspects were perfectly in sync with the film,the soundtracks were worth mentioning for its quality.On the whole,Secret Window can be watched once for Depp.

Overall,Secret Window is Watchable !

6/10

Mark Twain likes this.
  2. Narendran

Narendran Fresh Face

Liked:
    Pirates of the Carebbean - Salazar's Revenge
    Good one..but not the best compared to previous ones..my personal fav is the curse of the black pearl and the dead man's chest...Salazar's revenge comes nowhere near that..still the pirates series fans wont be dissapointed as it is a watchable one...
    3/5

Mark Twain and 10th Doctor like this.
  3. Mark Twain

Mark Twain Football is my Religion Moderator

Liked:
    Angane analle

Curse of the black pirl anu fav enkilum dead mans chestile chila scenes und ho.. Kikidu...athrem entertain cheyicha veronumilla

4. 10th Doctor

10th Doctor Fresh Face

Liked:
    Ente fav. Curse of the black pearl thanneyaa.For some reason Dead Man's chest Njan Atra enjoy cheythilla.At World's End ishtamanu pakshe.Pirates seriesil aake big screen watch Ath Matram aayirunnu

5. Mark Twain

Mark Twain Football is my Religion Moderator

Liked:
    Worlds end comparatively ishtamalla...

6. 10th Doctor

10th Doctor Fresh Face

Liked:
    The Lobster
    Different aaya Oru film kaananam ennundenkil try cheyyavunna Oru item aanu.Satire,gender politics,alienation angane relevant aaya pala karyangalum paranjupokunnund.

The movie takes place in a future where being single is seriously frowned upon.Single men and women are taken to lodges where they have to find a partner in specified time or else they get turned into an animal.

Ithpole Oru vattu(in a good way) premise enjoy cheyyan pattumenkil try this.Enik ending atra click aayilla.
    Must see ennu thanne parayavunna chitram in my opinion

Mark Twain likes this.
  7. Aanakattil Chackochi

Aanakattil Chackochi FR ഇരട്ടചങ്കൻ

Liked:
    The Before Trilogy
    Before Sunrise (1995)
    Before Sunset(2004)
    Before Midnight(2014)

[​IMG]
    Among the greatest cinematic experiences of all time in the history of Cinema!!!!

Shot in a span of 20 years, the movie is in my opinion the greatest love story that has unfolded on screen in modern times. The master Richard Linklater (my favourite director) provides us with cinematic moments on screen that leave us spellbound with its simplicity. These movies messed me up so much, made me sad, depressed, and seriously changed me a lot. They showed me a different version of film making. Linklater is a film making legend who lives amongst us. His movies are emotional masterpieces.

The beauty of these movies is that one can understand each of the movies better as you age. I watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset in 2009, thats when I was in my late teens. I loved Before Sunrise but didnt really like Before Sunset. In Before Sunrise, the Jesse and Celine were in their early twenties and their thoughts resonated with me. I recently watched Before Sunset again and a lot of things I didnt get when I was in my late teens, I started to notice now in the movie, now that I am moving towards the second half of my twenties.. How a director does that, thats movie making.

Imagine three movies with just two characters. The first one in 1994, second one in 2004 and the third in 2014, it goes through the stages of love between Jesse and Celine. All the three movies involve only conversations between Jesse and Celine, thats it. The poetic nature of the shots and the melancholic theme tunes you inside their world. For the span of the movies, you are Jesse, or Celine. You can feel how the characters have evolved as you flow from movie to movie in this trilogy. They are careless lovers enjoying a free life in the first part. In the second part, they have matured and are now shouldering responsibilities and are no longer care free. Life has hit them hard and they are starting to realise that life isnt a fair game. In the third part, the Love has vanished. They are two middle aged couples going through mid life crisis. For me, Before Midnight was the most emotional one while Before Sunset was the most thought provoking one.

In a way, the before trilogy is life.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpie, what do I say, they will always be Jesse and Celine. Behavioural acting at its epitome. Julie Delpie will always be among my favourite actress. I really want to write individual reviews or each of the movies but once you watch all three, you feel like its one single movie shot in a span of 20 years.

Malar, Mark Twain and 10th Doctor like this.
  8. Cinemalover

Cinemalover Star

Liked:
    Life

Life is easily the most intriguing sci-fi thriller to come out in recent times.Since i'm not great admirer of this genre,the expectations were quite low,and the sole reason to watch this was Jake - being his fan,i just cant ought to miss out his movie.To my surprise,the film was tightly packed with adequate thrills and drama,and it eventually turned out to be a gripping watch.Jake like always monopolized the entire film delivering a stupendous performance,the subtlety he brought out while portraying the emotional scenes once again proved his acting prowess.Rebecca Ferguson and the rest of the cast were good,but why was Ryan Reynolds roped in for such a short role.

Daniel Espinosa did an impressive job,unlike many of the late sci-fi thrillers which fails to rise above the visual splendor it offers,this one alternately entertains the viewers offering an edge of the seat experience through an interesting premise.The film has both suave technical aspects and an engaging theme,and it indeed forms as one of its biggest assets,The technical department did an amazing job,each and every aspect were top-notch.On the whole,Life is a well crafted cinema,and definitely the recent best in its genre.

Overall,Life is Superb !

8/10

Jake [​IMG]

9. Cinemalover

Cinemalover Star

Liked:
    The Mist

Taut and Gripping,The Mist is a neatly woven cinema with ample amount of thrills and emotions.An interesting premise backed by some strong performances and arresting narration makes this a good watch.Thomas Jane hogged the entire film through his brilliant portrayal,he was at his intense best making it an indelible performance.The rest of the cast were fine.

The expectations were quite high for this one since it comes from the maker who helmed the classic "Shawshank Redemption",and without doubt,it was a satisfying experience.Franks Darabont once again stamps his signature all over the craft,the sublime manner through which he presented such an enthralling tale made it a different cinema unlike the usual sci-fi thrillers.On the whole,The Mist is an engaging flick.

Overall,The Mist is Impressive !

7.5/10

Mark Twain likes this.
  10. Cinemalover

Cinemalover Star

Liked:
    21 Jump Street

Full of style and exuberance,21 Jump Street is a spirited entertainer.The sparkling lead combo backed by a genuinely engaging theme makes this a joyful experience.Jonah Hill - Channing Tatum combo is something to watch out for,their buoyant performances filled with fantastic energy itself makes this an interesting watch.The rest of the cast were fine,and finally,the hasty yet impressive cameo of Johnny Depp was nicely done.

Phil Lord - Miller,the director duo did a fine job.The film doesn't have anything great or awe-inspiring to boast off,still it was smartly packaged with all sorts of elements to make it a perfect entertainer.This one is filled with crisp cuts,suave frames and vibrant soundtracks,indeed the slick and elegant technical aspects gave a charming outlook to the movie.On the whole,21 Jump Street offers some really good entertainment.

Overall,21 Jump Street is Entertaining !

7/10