1. Currently, we are accepting registrations.
    You are welcome to partake in the discussions provided you follow the community rules and guidelines.
    Click on the yellow "Review" tag to filter out only the reviews.

Review Reviews of foreign movies!

Discussion in 'OtherWoods' started by eazy04, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Eden Hazard

Eden Hazard Fresh Face

Liked:
    The secret in their eyes (2009)

Argentine crime drama( Won the Oscars for the best foreign language movie )

A very well made movie , with a solid script and wonderful performances from all the actors. It's a bit slow but once you are into it the pace won't bother you. More than just criminal investigation it has a subtle romantic sub plot too

Must watch !!

2. Cinemalover

Cinemalover Star

Liked:

3. Cinemalover

Cinemalover Star

Liked:
    Flightplan

Flightplan is devoid of novelty, nevertheless, Jodie Foster and a couple of generic thrills makes it quite entertaining.The film is narrated in a downright formulaic routine with all the conventional norms of a thriller genre, but, Flightplan is racy enough to hold your interest.

Mark Twain and TheBeyonder like this.
  4. BigBhai

BigBhai Super Star

Liked:
  5. Eden Hazard

Eden Hazard Fresh Face

Liked:
    JFK (1991)

This movie sheds light into the assassination of President John F Kennedy and the alleged conspiracy theories behind it. The movie bashes the cover up stories put up by the agencies and the government regarding the assassination of the president. It states that even the heavyweights of the government were involved in the conspiracy that took the life of their own president. The director's cut has runtime of around 3.5 hrs , and requires you pay attention to each and every second of it

This is nothing less than a classic. The script is absolutely stunning and so are the other departments. Director needs to be appreciated for the effort he has put in and the willpower he has shown while making this movie.

Epic !!

6. 10th Doctor

10th Doctor Fresh Face

Liked:
    Baby Driver
    Edgar Wright's latest movie Baby Driver was his most successful one.It is a pretty good movie.The movie is about Baby a super skilled getaway driver who wants to get away from a life of crime.The movie is very very well made and the action scenes are awesome.The part that sticks out is Baby's love track which is clumsy.Still a very fun watch

Mark Twain likes this.
  7. Eden Hazard

Eden Hazard Fresh Face

Liked:
    The highlight of this movie is its soundtrack. It elevates the movie to another level all together

8. Aanakattil Chackochi

Aanakattil Chackochi FR ഇരട്ടചങ്കൻ

Liked:
    Stalker (1979)
    [​IMG]

Stalker is a 1979 Soviet science fiction movie crafted by the legendary film-maker Andrei Tarkovsky. The movie is widely regarded as a fictional masterpiece and in my experience, one of the greatest movies I have watched in terms of quality of film-making. Talk about entertainment, well Tarkovksy movies always are a big huge zero in that. But honestly, he has never wanted to entertain the audience.

To be fair, watching Tarkovsky movies (The Mirror, Solaris, The sacrifice etc) is an experience in itself. One may find it difficult to sit through the movies because routine motion pictures have taken over our concentration capabilities to sit and ponder and think long about a movie. Its like reading a classic novel, it is very hard to get through the initial phases of 'boredom' while reading it, but soon you get a grasp of why this is a classic.

Tarkovsky has a mastery of time use in his films, and not in the sense of time for the characters, but for the viewer or perhaps for the movie itself. One of my favorite scenes has three men crossing a field starting from the far end (relative to camera) and ending when they're about 2/3 through the field - and that's it. No dialogue, no cuts, no camera movement, no "action." You are forced to recognize the time passing. You are hit square in the face with how much movies "speed up" life, and how this one is slowing it down. I don't really know how to describe it other than just bask in the moment as you watch and feel whatever you feel.

The sense of fear you get in the movie is palpable and superbly done considering there's hardly ever a moment of any tangible tension or conflict. Just a guide being absolutely sure that way will piss off the region somehow - even though nothing is around and nothing reacts and nothing happens when the protestor decides to go that way.

Aside from the feelings I got, the movie is gorgeous; it's full of wide shots of nature, slow pans and zooms and again a mastery of time and camera movement. There's poetry in the dialogue, and a story that not only forces you to stop and think about what's going on, but is one that makes you want to stop and think about what's going on. And what is going on? Wish-fulfilling wells? Forbidden zones? Super powers? Is the fate of humanity being decided? Or are three guys just walking around in an old nuclear bomb site?

Yet with all of this praise, it took me three tries to watch this movie. I just couldn't stay "into it," even though I loved what I was getting into. It was too quiet, too slow, too still, too deep. So much is implied and offered for you to imagine, you're left scratching the screen for something to actually grab onto as happening. This movie isn't trying to entertain, it's trying to impress and impart.

TheBeyonder and Mark Twain like this.
  9. Cinemalover

Cinemalover Star

Liked:
    Love, Simon

A set of personalities that are individual and real, and not cardboard characters out of similar moulds - Love, Simon is delightful.The film centers around the dilemma of Simon, a closeted gay student struggling to come to terms with his sexuality, but the movie resonates far beyond just that, it's about the possibility of falling in love, and being free to be who you are.The cast is phenomenal, the narrative is cute and heartwarming, and the soundtrack is splendid.Love, Simon sets the bar incredibly high for the coming of age genre, it's a film filled with absolute beauty.

PicsArt_06-02-08.18.13.jpg

TheBeyonder likes this.
  10. 10th Doctor

10th Doctor Fresh Face

Liked:
    Logan Lucky
    Jimmy Logan has just been let go from his construction job at the Charlotte motor speedway. His ex wife is going to move somewhere else with his daughter.
    Jimmy plans to rob the motorway with the help of his brother Clyde,his sister Mellie and a career safecracker Joe Bang as a payback (sort of)

The movie is directed by Steven Soderberg and it is a fun watch. The movie takes some 10-15 minutes to find it's footing.After that it is smooth sailing.The ensemble cast which includes Channing Tatum,Adam Driver,Daniel Craig,Katie Holmes, Hilary Swank does a good job.I have a feeling this could be one of those movies which you can watch an umpteen number of times.

My Rating:8/10

TheBeyonder likes this.