1. Currently, we are accepting registrations.
    You are welcome to partake in the discussions provided you follow the community rules and guidelines.
    Click on the yellow "Review" tag to filter out only the reviews.

Review Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi - A Thrill Ride

Discussion in 'MTownHub' started by nryn, Dec 15, 2017.

1. nryn

nryn Star

Liked:
    Theatre: Forum PVR IMAX, Bangalore
    Show: 14 Dec 2017, 10 PM Premiere Show

Thanks to Disney's acquisition of Lucas Arts, the audience got the chance to visit Star Wars on the big screen again. The first film in the new series, The Force Awakens, was an enjoyable yet derivative film. The plot was almost exactly the same as the iconic Star Wars: A New Hope, the film that kickstarted the juggernaut franchise. But second time around, The Last Jedi stands on its own feet and soars high on its wings.

The film opens with an epic space battle. Absolutely amazing stuff. A live action version of the battles seen in the Star Wars cartoon series like Clone Wars and Rebels. Alongside the rebel action, the movie cuts away to Rey and her efforts to bring back Luke Skywalker.

The movie is beautifully woven between these two fronts and the pacing is just perfect. The different characters get just enough time to make an impression.In spite of the seriousness in the plot, the film embraces the quirkiness of the original series and there are plenty of lighter moments here and there. This interlaced humour may not sit well with many, but I for one thoroughly enjoyed it. The world building that takes place in the background is amazing. The feeling of otherworldiness has been brought about a number creatures both cute and elegant. The Canto Bight sequences let the audience explore this world further. But on a sore note, where are the Twi'leks?

When it comes to performances, Mark Hamill stands tall as Luke Skywalker. He plays the role of the recluse and torn Jedi master to perfection. Carrie Fisher in her last role, reprises General Leia in all her spunky glory reminiscent of the original trilogy. Daisy Ridley and Adam River were perfect as the lawful Jedi and the chaotic Sith. John Boyega performed well as Finn, but his character was a bit one note. The characters Vice Admiral Holdo, Poe Dameron, and Rose Tico are very well etched by the actors and are quite integral to the enjoyment of the film.

Star Wars requires a total of CGI to pull it off and I have to say this is one of the prettiest CGI movies of our time. Space battles are amazing, force effects are very well done, and supreme leader Snoke looks quite intimidating. Very high standards have been set for the CGI in future movies. Cinematography is brilliant as well. Destruction sequence towards the climax is terrific.

Though the movie is thoroughly enjoyable, can't help but admit that the the story is a bit weak. Quite a lot of uncertainties and lack of clarity. The next movie has a lot to fill in and I hope we get a side movie based on the rise of the first order.

Star Wars is alive and well. The only gripe is that we have to wait for two years to continue this story. I hope it continues to deliver. Now Disney, go make a TV series out of Knights of the Old Republic!

TL;DR: The Last Jedi is a complete thrill ride in the world of Star Wars. A fantastic watch albeit having some questionable story points.

Rating: 8.5/10

Johnson Master, Karmah, Manu and 6 others like this.
  2. Sadasivan

Sadasivan Mr. Fraud

Liked:
    nryn likes this.
  3. nryn

nryn Star

Liked:
  4. Mayavi 369

Mayavi 369 Sachin My God Super Mod

Liked:
    Thx bhai

nryn likes this.